If you would like your work to be considered for publication on Black Nore Review, please read the following instructions carefully:
- Owing to time constraints, I am only able to accept submissions from the UK and Europe, except by invitation
- Send me up to 4 unpublished poems and/or flash pieces (a mixture is fine)
- Paste them into the body of an email or attach them in a Word or plain text document
- I’m unlikely to publish long poems (i.e. 40+ lines approx) and the maximum length for flash fiction pieces is 500 words
- Email your submission to blacknorereview[at]gmail.com (replacing “[at]” with @)
- Add the word “Submission” in the subject line, followed by your name (or pen name)
- Include a short (50-60 words approx) biographical piece that you’d like to appear below your poem. You could list some of your publication credits (but please, not all of them), or just give readers some interesting information about yourself
- Please also include any links that you’d like to appear on there, such as your Twitter username, your blog or your publisher
- No simultaneous submissions please – I aim for a quick turnaround so won’t tie up your work for long
I will respond to all submissions within two weeks. If you haven’t heard from me after that time, please feel free to chase me up using the email address above.
Rejection is the hard part, and unfortunately it’s part and parcel of submitting work to any journal. Please don’t take it personally if I don’t wish to publish your work – it’s purely my opinion and if you submit the work elsewhere it’s entirely possible it will be accepted!
A rapid rejection isn’t necessarily a reflection on the quality of your work – as a poet myself I would much rather an editor told me straight away if my work isn’t to their taste so that I can send it elsewhere with the minimum delay.
If it’s a no, please feel free to submit again, but wait a few months before doing so to give others a chance.
Finally, if you’re lucky enough to have poem(s) accepted for publication on Black Nore Review, please wait nine months before submitting again.
I schedule posts on Mondays and Thursdays at around 5am UK-time. Each post is publicised on the Black Nore Review Facebook page and Twitter account, and if your work is published then please share the link with your friends.
All poems will be retained on the website’s archives.
Depending on time available, I may also nominate your work for awards (the Forward prize, Best of the Net etc) and include it in a future Black Nore Review anthology, but I will always obtain your consent before doing so.
If a poem appears in your own book (pamphlet, chapbook or collection), another journal or an anthology, please ensure that Black Nore Review is credited as the first publisher.
Likewise, please consider including Black Nore Review in your bio when submitting work elsewhere to help spread the word.